- 2 cups oatmeal
- 1 cup shredded coconut, loosely packed
- ½ wheat germ, or flax seed
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2/3 cup honey (You can also use maple syrup, but we find the honey really holds them together)
- 1/4 cup lightly packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup chopped pitted dates
- 1/2 cup of dried apricots
- 1 cup combo of your favorite raisins or dried cranberries
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
Mix together almonds, coconut and oatmeal, and bake for about 10 or 12 mins until toasted. Remove from the oven and mix in wheat germ or flax.
Bring the oven down to 300 degrees.
Mix butter, honey, brown sugar, vanilla, and salt in a saucepan. Bring it to a boil and mix until combined. Pour the hot mixture over the toasted oatmeal mixture, then add in your dates, apricots, cranberries and raisins ~ or whatever combo of dried fruit you choose!
Pour the mixture into an 8 x 12-inch baking dish, buttered and lined with baking paper/parchment. Press down with the back a measuring cup or your hands, to make sure they are nice and firm. Otherwise, they will fall apart!
Bake for about 30 minutes, until light golden brown. You’ve definitely got to wait for then to cool completely or they will be too soft. Cut them into bars with a strong knife.
Voila! You have the perfect morning treat. They are so much better than store bought, and they are good for you!